19. Long COVID – Part 2 of 2, A Pulmonologist’s Long COVID Journey
In part two of this series, Dr. Stephanie LaBedz, a pulmonary and critical care physician at the University of Illinois at Chicago, joins Dr. Christina Wells, a family physician, also with UIC, to discuss her experience with long COVID. She shares how it has helped in her approach to patients suffering from long COVID. They talk about what family physicians should understand about long COVID.
There are many ways that patients with long COVID can present. We may not always know or recognize which conditions are related to long COVID. As physicians, it is important to review a patient’s medical history in order to identify what may be causing the current symptoms. Topics Dr. LaBedz covers include:
- Her symptoms, and others, associated with long COVID
- Ways to treat patients in the absence of an overriding long COVID treatment
- Suggestions for family physicians treating patients who may be presenting with symptoms suggestive of long COVID
- Lessons she has learned since she first had COVID
- The importance of helping patients listen to their bodies in order to get better
- What makes diagnosing long COVID more difficult than other medical conditions
- Identify how long COVID may present in patients
- Understand what an “energy envelope” is and its importance in treating patients with long COVID
- Recognize the distress long COVID patients may experience
- Determine the best ways to assist your patients in their recovery
Earn CME Credits for Each Episode!
Listen to our pre-recorded episodes and earn .50 credit for each episode. Take a short post test and evaluation on the Illinois Academy of Family Physicians online education library and earn credits for your time.
The Illinois Academy of Family Physicians (IAFP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 – The Illinois Academy of Family Physicians designates each Online enduring material for a maximum of 0.50 AMA PRA Category 1 credit™
Nurses and nurse Practitioners can submit Certificates of Attendance to their accrediting board to claim credit for participation.
Transcript – Long COVID – Part 2 of 2, A Pulmonologist’s Long COVID Journey
Hello and welcome to another episode of Beyond the Needle. Today, we’re going to be continuing our discussion of long COVID and we have back again with us Dr. Stephanie LaBedz who’s going to be talking about her experience with long COVID. I’m Dr. Christina Wells. I’m a family medicine physician at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and I practice at the Mile Square Health Center. And Dr. LaBedz, can you tell us who you are and where you practice? And thank you again for joining us today…